Welcome - A Place to "Un-Vent".

The purpose of this blog is to jot down all of life's blissful moments - happy thoughts, passions, inspirations, why your day went swell, things to be grateful for, random things that just make you feel justified, satisfied, confident...just darn great!

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Pre-Marathon Thoughts

My anxiety has fluctuated within the last two days.

Mostly for one reason: I've set expectations for myself.

In 2006 I ran the LA Marathon - my first marathon - going in with no real goal except to complete the race and not walk one bit. Surprisingly, I crossed the line in 4 hours and 23 minutes. (10:01 minute/mile pace).

This year -- I want to beat my first time. And not just by a minute. Ideally...23 minutes. Meaning I need to shave off about a minute/mile.

My goal is to simply run under 4 hours. And I will do the best that I can to achieve that goal.

*deep breathe*

I registered in January, and I've been running/training myself 4-6 days a week since then. I've run up 12 miles. This is my 2nd marathon. I ran long distance in high school. Mentally, I am there. I know what's expected.

75% mental. 25% physical.

My right calve was aching earlier this week. A bit sore after a long run, but after some good tiger balm/bengay/placing a warm towel on it/massaging/having a personal trainer perform the "self myl-facial-release" on my legs -- the soreness is down to 5%. The rest of my body feels fit and ready to go.

Marathons -- humans aren't naturally meant to run 26.2 miles. Our bodies aren't built for this kinda thing. And that's what makes the 20,000+ people running tomorrow's San Francisco Marathon/Half-Marathon...cRaZy.

And I'm one of them! =P

What's my motivation to do it again?
  1. The challenge. Physical endurance. Mental endurance. "Pain is weakness leaving your body".
  2. The unspoken unity. 20,000+ people running towards the same finish line.
  3. The energy. Adrenaline, sweat, pure physical drive.
  4. MY BODY. 26.2 miles of feeling every ounce of my muscle work to to it's extreme capacity. Breathing. Living. Making the most and pushing your body beyond limits only a handful of people on this planet dare to venture.
"The only things that stops you from not doing it is....NOT doing it."

"If you say you can't, you won't. If you say you can, you WILL."

Thank you to everyone for your support thus far.

And good luck to my fellow marathon friends-- May, Sam Bau, Andre, and Schro.

*closes eyes*

Good Luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment